Thursday 18 October 2012

911T Project: Pedals


The final part of the ergonomics equation was the way the pedals were set up. My objectives were simple: a good brake feel, and an ability to heel and toe without uncomfortable contortions.

The pre-1974 911s are not fitted with a brake servo. While this leads to much greater pedal pressures it does remove one possible cause of a spongey pedal. As I had asked Tuthills to replace all of the flexible hoses, the system should be as good as it was going to be in standard form. Richard did try and talk me into their rally spec. braking system; its FIA approved and proven in countless Tuthill prepared cars. But at £1,000 a corner it was a big bill at this stage, especially as it looks as if the engine will be running in standard 140bhp form for some time longer. 

A key component of the Tuthills rally set up is an adjustable bias pedal box. Containing separate master cylinders for front and rear axles, this replaces the (possibly 40 years old...) original Porsche component with two moderns items, adds some nice braided hose, and would also let me adjust the pedal position a little as well. The front/rear balance is changed using a neat dash mounted knob. 

It seemed a good solution, so supply&fit was added to Tuthill's job list, along with some updated Ferodo pads for the 'S' spec callipers already on the car.



Porsche's standard accelerator pedal is frankly a bit cheap and nasty. I'm sure it's made of the finest German plastics, but after 40 years of use mine was looking shiny, slippery and worn. And in spite of the brake pedal changes, I was still finding it hard to comfortably use the side of my foot to give a rev-matching 'blip' on down changes. 

In one of the Porsche mags I spied the neat answer, an alloy pedal made by D-Zug in the US. Patterned on the one used by Porsche in the 917, not only did it give me the adjustability I neede, but was also set more towards the vertical, bringing it closer the the brake. It looked just was I was after. The D-Zug team were a delight to deal with, and within a couple of weeks a pedal in anodised dark alloy was delivered to SS7 Towers. 



It was beautifully made, simple to install, and the only slight hiccup caused by the unusual (for a European) imperial Allen key sizes used for the pivot I was able to sort using an old key I found at the back of my tool chest. 

The result is good pedal feel and perfect spacing for my size 10's. 

Oh, as an aside; I discovered sometime after placing my order with D-Zug that the well known Los Angeles based Porsche hot-rodder Magnus Walker uses their pedals in the fantastic cars he builds. 



No comments: